Saturday 18 May 2013

Polly Pockets!!

Well it's been awhile since I had a new obsession... To me when I feel obsessed with something it gives  me this giddy feeling of joy. I never know what my next fad will be. Right now I am probably the only 30 year old woman who can talk for 10 minutes straight about Polly Pockets. (I did it to a friend at McDonalds today >.<)
I was really down the other night because no one really talks to me on Facebook ( I know I should care less) and for some reason I got a glimpse of me at 9 standing on the driveway lovingly playing with my little Polly Pocket. Suddenly it struck me, I NEED a Polly Pocket.
So I began to scour Kijiji and Craigslist for the vintage ones.
I found a lady in my city who has several sets and enthusiastically messaged her. Then I waited and waited. And waited and waited and waited. Then I messaged her again gently reminding her I want to buy every single Polly Pocket she's got. Well I became depressed because she never got back to me. Finally I located a Country Cottage Polly Pocket in a different town and the lady got right back to me. So I sent my dutiful husband off on an hours bus ride to get the little toy. Whenever I want a toy I just announce that our son or daughter needs it desperately and then I sneak off to examine and play with it when no one is looking. The lady made $15 off me for it but I dont mind. Tonight for the first time since I was a little girl I got to walk a little Polly doll around her encave. Over the bridge, in her bathtub, lay her on her bed, her couch, sit on the chair and on the little bench to take in the view (I also made her stand in the middle of the pond :P).
Then I discovered something... While I was looking through pictures on Google images of Polly Pockets (I really go all out with this obsession thing) I discovered something I never knew!
The company which originally made Polly Pocket named Bluebird (more on THAT in a minute) also made sets called Mighty Max! It's a Polly Pocket for boys! OMG
Mighty Max battles monsters in his little encave and man does it look awesome.
So I raced over to Kijiji to see if there were any Mighty Max 'Doom Zones' (those are the decent sized ones) and there was an ad for 3 of them! Sure enough though the guy didnt message back :( Not too happy with Kijijians leaving sold ads up.
The story of how the first Polly Pocket was made is so touching... (cue Wikidpedia and touching music)
'Polly Pocket German series was first designed by Chris Wiggs in 1983 for his daughter Kate. Using a powder compact, he fashioned a small house for the tiny doll. Bluebird Toys of Swindon, England licensed the concept and the first Polly Pocket toys appeared in stores in 1989. Mattel held a distribution arrangement with Bluebird Toys for Polly Pocket items in the early-1990s. In 1998, while production lulled, Bluebird Toys endured several hostile take-over attempts until Mattel finally purchased them later that year.'

Did you hear that people? A HOSTILE takeover!!! My poor Polly Pockets. Mattel totally redesigned Polly Pockets, now they are just mini Barbie dolls.
So anything as deep as that story is sure to add fire to my obsession. Yes Im only collecting the unique, original, Bluebird Polly Pocket and Mighty Max sets.
So there you have it, I have a new love. xoxo Polly, I mean Angie... ahem...

No comments:

Post a Comment