Wednesday 15 May 2013

Kijiji: Are You Afraid?

I use Kijiji regularly, usually to buy and sell video games. Today I sold an N64 and some games. Aware of what has just happened to Tim Bosma I offered to meet at a coffee shop. The person agreed and told me that even if I had asked him to meet at my house, he would have said no.
This means that this person is so scared that he would rather buy untested video games then go to a strangers house (they all worked but you get my point)
I feel like I do when I go into a shop and leave without buying something. Like the owners will think I'm a thief, Im thinking, 'act natual your innocent'.
This is the result of the fear caused by what happened to Tim. Now I am arranging to buy some DS games and I dont know if I should offer to pick them up at the lady's house. Will she become afraid? Im afraid... Damn this is scary stuff.

You cant trust anyone anymore. The best thing to do is not to sell very expensive things on a site like this and always meet in a public place like a coffee shop.

A spokesperson for Kijiji said that the company is “deeply disturbed by this development and are cooperating fully with the authorities.”

A man was shot dead a few years ago after putting a diamond ring ad on Craigslist. Now it looks like this man Tim Bosma is dead over a truck ad. Imagine the real terror of these situations. Here is the account of what happened to James Sanders. Will you still buy and sell on these sites?

It was around 9 p.m. on a Wednesday night, and James and Charlene were upstairs in their Edgewood, Wash., home with their two sons, Jimmy, 14, and Chandler, 10, watching a movie on television.

James was expecting a couple to come about buying the diamond ring he had advertised on Craigslist. He went downstairs when they arrived to show them the ring.

The woman who came to look at the ring said she wanted it as a possible Mother’s Day present. She was accompanied by a young man. Two other male accomplices remained hidden.

James showed the couple the ring. Charlene became involved when her husband called her downstairs to answer some questions about it.

“Do you want the ring?” the young man asked the young woman.

“Yes,” she said.

Charlene told Vieira the man pulled out a wad of cash and said to James Sanders, “How’s this?”

“That’s fine,” James Sanders replied.

“Well, how about this?” the man asked as he pulled out a gun.

“That’s how it all started,” Charlene said.

Panic and violence It was a nightmare, a blur of terror.

“I could feel rushing around. My husband and I were looking at each other, panicking, saying, ‘Just take it, take it, take anything you want,’ ” she told Vieira. “We just kept chanting it: ‘Take it.’ Then all of a sudden we’re getting zip-tied and put down on the floor in the kitchen. I could tell that people had been rushing in.”

Two more males joined the couple who initiated the robbery. Charlene said they went upstairs to bring down the two boys.

“I had a man come over to me with a gun to the back of my head,” Charlene said. The home invader started to count down, as if he were going to kill her, demanding to know, “Where’s the stuff? Where’s the stuff?”

“What stuff?” she said.

“Where’s the safe?” the man said.

“At one point he kicked me in the head,” Charlene told Vieira.

“I was screaming. The kids were standing there and I went, ‘Oh, please God, don’t let them kill me. Don’t let them kill my kids. Don’t let them kill me in front of my kids,’ ” Charlene said.

Someone pulled her wedding ring off her finger as the robbers took her husband to open the family’s safe, which was located in the garage. Charlene has said she’s not sure of the sequence of events, but she knows that Jimmy, her 14-year-old, at some point jumped on one of the robbers and got pistol-whipped. Her husband managed to break the zip ties that had bound his hands and went to Jimmy’s defense.

Charlene Sanders watched her husband James die before her eyes. Charlene heard three shots from the living room. When the robbers finally left, she found James dying.

One of the boys called 911, telling the dispatcher, “My dad has been shot. Please hurry! Hurry, please! We don’t know if they’re going to come back!”

Charlene cradled her 43-year-old husband in her arms.

“I just kept saying, ‘Honey, stay with me. Stay with us. Stay with us. Don’t go. Don’t go.’ And he was just barely gasping for air, and he was all white. He was starting to get white. I saw that half his ear was shot off and I thought maybe he’s just in shock. That’s why he’s white,” Charlene said.

But he wasn’t in shock.

“He died,” Charlene said.

A father’s example Craigslist released a statement saying violent acts related to ads on the popular site are rare. But Detective Ed Troyer, who is investigating the case for the Pierce County Sheriff’s office, warned: “If you have something nice, somebody’s going to figure out a way to take it from you. Craigslist is a tool to do that.”

(Now so is Kijiji)

No comments:

Post a Comment